Sunday 5 July 2015

Sepultura - 'Under My Skin' EP (Review)


‘From the opening crowd chant to the closing thrash out, it’s a great track. It has that trademark Kisser guitar sound and low end riffs.’


Album Type: Limited 7inch
Date Released: 05/06/2015
Label: Nuclear Blast

‘Under My Skin’ 7inch//DD track listing:

1). Under My Skin
2). Kairos (Live)

Sepultura is:

Derrick Green | Vocals
Andreas Kisser | Guitars
Paulo Jr. | Bass
Eloy Casagrande | Drums

Review:

Sepultura have long been one of my favourite bands... and yes, I love both early and late period Sepultura. In fact, I think they are making some of their best music right now. Their last album “The Mediator...” was reviewed by me for this very blog and I rate it as a superb record on every level. The preceding “Kairos” was also an immense straight ahead metal album. I could go on, but I won't.

Instead, let's focus on this new track and fan tribute to celebrate their thirty years in existence. You get 3.47 of unadulterated rhythmical and joyful metal. From the opening crowd chant to the closing thrash out, it’s a great track. It has that trademark Kisser guitar sound and low end riffs. Eloy Casagrande is a drummer of incredible technical ability (one of he best in the world, I reckon) and he lays down a great groove here. You also get a live version of ‘Kairos’ as the b-side here and it is ferocious with that superb groove riff in the middle.

The Derrick Green fronted Sepultura have now been around in various incarnations since 1998 so arguments about “that's not Sepultura” are invalid. I have always found the vitriol directed against Green vexing and bewildering. All bands have line-up changes (Napalm death now have ZERO original line-up members, but no one says “that's a Napalm Death cover band” about them and rightly so. Napalm Death is whoever is in Napalm Death and long may they continue). The fact is that the Cavalera brothers chose to leave. A shame, as they left one of the most creative metal bands around. Sepultura remain a creative force and one that is unpredictable. There are not many bands that are thirty years old that can say that.

Pick this one up digitally if you don't want to pay the ludicrous shipping costs for the 7” vinyl from Nuclear Blast.

Words by: Richard Maw

‘Under My Skin’ is available on limited vinyl here

For more information: